Thursday, January 22, 2009

Challenge Update

Well, we are officially 22 days into the Yarn Diet Challenge and still going strong. I'm happy to report that I have successfully avoided the yarn fumes. This past Saturday I met a couple of my girlfriends for coffee and knitting. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning. It was well worth getting out of my warm bed to venture out on one of the coldest days of the winter. We even stepped over to our LYS, In The Making. I'm so proud of myself for not buying anything. Yes, you read correctly, I was in a yarn store and didn't buy one thing. As a matter of a fact, this was my third trip to my LYS with nothing bought.

As for the real diet portion of the challenge, I have lost 8 pounds since January 5th. It hasn't been easy all of the time, but I know I have to stay diligent. I'm tired of having an entire closet full of clothes and have almost nothing that fits.

As for knitting. I finished The Better Bucket Hat by Amy Swenson this weekend. Actually I finished it twice. The first time I completed it only to discover that it was WAY too big. However, it fit Jessi perfectly, so now she is making one. So, I pulled it out and started over with it being an inch shorter than the pattern calls for. I knit it out of Punta del Estes Merisoft yarn. This yarn is certainly in the league with Malabrigo. It is almost as soft as Malabrigo and I think the variegated colors are prettier than Malabrigo. I'll try to get a picture posted this weekend.

I am also working on my Juliet. After seeing two of them completed at In the Making this weekend, I decided to pull mine back to the armholes and start my lace pattern there rather than doing the version with a longer garter stitch section. I think I'll be much happier with it this way. I'm about 7-8" into the lace section. I need to get this finished so I can wear it since I'm knitting it out of Bulky weight wool yarn. You never know what the weather is going to be around here. Lately it has been so cold that I've begun to question whether I really live in the South. I mean, it is not supposed to be this cold here. If it going to be this cold, could we at least have some snow so we could have some time off. Then maybe I could get some of my knitting done.

Stay Warm!!

3 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

Heh. I almost had me a pre-knit Bucket Hat. ;-) Although, I'm really enjoying knitting this one and I got to learn something new (prov. cast on).

Can't wait to see your Juliet finished! When we going to Starbucks again?

pjbknit said...

I know how you feel, since many of my clothes don't fit. I need motivation to exercise. I have bought sock yarn this year, but I am trying to use stash. Keep up the good work!

elizabeth said...

Oh please! It is NOT cold here! :o) Congrats on both phases of your diet! My closet suffered from the same problem, so I went and bought some clothes that fit. Not happy with the size, but definitely happy to have something to wear!