Saturday, November 03, 2007

For the love of Coffee

As part of the WWCS, Holly and Anne have asked all how we have come to love coffee.

My first experience with coffee was as a child as a bonding moment with my Granddaddy. He would allow me to sit and drink coffee with him when I stayed over at their house. It always made me feel so big. Now reality is that it was more like coffee flavored milk, but to me it was coffee and I'll never forget those bonding moments as long as I live even though I only had 9 years with my Granddaddy.

I then drank coffee off and on during my early career after college, but it wasn't something I just truly enjoyed. Then in 1999, I went on a trip to Spain & France with some friends of mine. Now I am a huge diet coke drinker and I am definitely addicted to caffeine. Well, I got a horrible headache that first day in Madrid and it was from the lack of caffeine, but cokes were like $3 each which I was just too cheap to pay for. So I decided I would have to drink the coffee. I don't know how many of you have been to Madrid, Spain, but the first cup was a bit like sludge it was so thick and dark, and definitely needed milk or cream and sugar, but once you got it mixed, the flavor of that dark rich coffee was like nothing else!! It made a convert out of me. I loved the richness of it and there was the definite advantage to the caffeine.

Coffee is still not something that I drink everyday because for the most part, I can pass on the "break room" coffee. It just isn't rich or dark enough for me. I love a good medium or full roasted coffee. I love it the flavored creamers and just a touch of Splenda. Of course there are always the expresso drinks too that I love. A good Cafe Mocha will just make your day and recently I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks that was really good as well. If I'm at a Starbucks and just not having a coffee mood, then I always go for the Chai Tea Latte.

So that is the story of coffee & me.

On the knitting front, I have finished the Monkey socks out of Union Center Knits "Fall" sock yarn. I really like how they turned out and will get some pictures taken to post. I'm now back working on the second sock from my Elliebelly "Hedgehog" yarn.

6 comments:

tonni said...

What a wonderful story about the grandfather/granddaughter bonding moment. I'm sorry your had such a short time with your granddaddy.

I. Love. Coffee... and am addicted to vanilla creamer (not the powder kind) with columbian coffee.

Have to say that SAFF WAS great, but can't compare to traveling somewhere like Madrid :)

Rani said...

That is a lovely memory.

coffee . . . i down several dark cups a day (loaded with cream) mmmmmmm

Miss Me said...

that's a lovely story about your introduction to coffee. i just wandered over from wwcs...
btw - love your blog title. of course accountants knit - its all about the numbers... (certified general accountant here)

Cindy said...

I'm a huge coffee drinker myself. I drink it from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed. Started as a child myself. Our knit group meets once a week at a coffee shop. There's nothing like drinking coffee and knitting.

Cindy said...

The coffee swap looks like fun. Hate I missed out on this one because I'm a huge coffee drinker myself. Started very young. Our knit group meets at a coffee shop once a week. There is nothing like knitting with a good cup of coffee.

Cindy said...

I hate I missed the coffee swap. Looks like fun because I'm a huge coffee drinker myself. Started very young. Our knit group meets at a coffee shop once a week. There is nothing like a good cup of coffee to go along with knitting.