Thursday, October 11, 2007

Sock Gala Recap & More (Picture Heavy)

Ok, so I've been a bit neglectful of the blog. My friend Alissa pointed this out to me tonight at dinner. This week has just been so crazy and then it has been hard to get the computer away from my sister & my nephew. But here is what you have been missing..........

Last Thursday was the Sock Gala at my LYS, In the Making. This was a regularly scheduled Knit Night that was devoted entirely to socks. There were lots of prizes, some games involving the history of socks and some information on a charity, Power Socks (more on this in a minute). There was also lots of food and did I forget to mention that all sock yarn was on sale that night. Power Socks is a local charity that was founded by a customer of the shop, Lou, who had knit so many socks for herself that she was getting a "stash" of socks. A friend of her's that worked for a local nursing home was telling her about some of the women who worked there that were having trouble making ends meet with the rising cost of power & gas. Lou went to her church and set up a program where you can buy socks already made and all of the money goes to the Greater Birmingham Ministries to help women who are having a tough time making ends meet. Donna, the owner of In the Making contacted some of her suppliers and had some yarn donated just for this purpose. On Tuesday, October 23, Donna is having a kick-off for anyone who would like to help knit socks for this program. The donated sock yarn will be available on a first come first serve basis for anyone who would like to help.

Below are some pictures from the event (some of the pictures are a bit blurry from all the movement):

Donna, the Owner of In the Making

The Cake (was oh so yummy!)
The Prizes
Denise & Shira

Shira, her Mom, Linda & Katie
Looking like they are talking about knitting....
It was so crowded, these two brought their own chairs
Ok, next let's talk purchases.....on Sock Gala Night, I picked up a couple of skeins of Claudia's Hand Painted for a pair of socks (forgot to take a picture).


With Columbus day, I had to wait a bit for some shipments. I finally got the recent shipment of the Art Walk Sock Club yarn. This month's inspiration was Pablo Picasso's Three Dancers. The yarn is beautiful and after a brief snafoo with my swift (aka lamp with very large lampshade) and some help from my sister the yarn is finally wound into a cake and ready for knitting (just need to find more time now).
Three Dancers


Next up is my shipment from Woolgirl. I found out about Woolgirl from Susan and dare I say it is almost too tempting. I order "Fall" Whatnot Sock Yarn by Union Center and it is really yummy!! I also ordered a set of Chiagoo needles to try them out. The package came and was wrapped so pretty and there was also a sample of Soak Woolwash in it. I can't wait to try it. I've already signed up for the Be My Valentine Charlie Brown Sock Kit and I'm definately signing up for the next sock club she does. (No, really, I'm don't have a problem with sock yarn....I can stop anytime.....who am I trying to kid here??)
Fall
I also got in two more sock bags from Stuck in Illinois, but I forgot to take a picture of them, but you can see them here and here. And dang it if she hasn't now listed the cutest Christmas bags (must resist, must resist, must resist)

Now on to non-knitting stuff. Tonight was Girls Night Out for the Ladies in my sunday school class. We met at Jason's Deli for dinner and had a great time. We spent the evening sharing funny stories (most of which were about our dating mishaps -where have all the good men gone) ......girls, we really need to write a book with these stories, we couldn't make this stuff up if we tried!! Tomorrow night, some of the girls and I are headed to dinner and then to catch the new George Clooney movie (some guy name, really can't remember it). Then Saturday is a night of culture involving the Symphony (cause you know I'm all about being cultured.....ha ha!!). I can't remember the last time I went to the Symphony and I'm really looking forward to it.

Also this weekend the big Pompeii exhibit opens at the Birmingham Museum of Art. I'm dying to see this exhibit, but I'm not brave enough to deal with the crowd this weekend.

It is finally turning cooler here and beginning to feel like fall. I'm so ready for the weekend, this week has been so crazy at work and I'm ready to relax!

2 comments:

Rani said...

Lots of yummy yarn! Wool Girl is one of my favorites.

We also have an exhibit of Pompei at our science museum. I can't wait to see it!

I am going to suggest a sock gala to our local shops - FUN!

Alissa said...

I am so jealous that you and Tracie hit the symphony! Did you get cultured? :)